Thursday 8 August 2013

Am I Doing it Wrong, or What?

Ok. Common sense might suggest a few things if you were preparing for a thru hike, right?
Maybe pack hikes, studying maps, how and where to resupply, acclimatising to NZ weather which should be cold, wet, rainy and maybe snowy. Especially when we are talking about starting in less than a month.

So, to prepare for lots of walking, I've been doing mostly this:















And to get used to wintery NZ conditions, I've been doing this:

Luckily, I've got a plan! Mostly it involves getting off this lovely tropical paradise and getting back to NZ as soon as I can. To a place I can actually download the maps I need to do detailed work with... gear is sorted (well, pretty much sorted. Thanks Judith, the two Benjamins, and everyone who provided advice at the Te Araroa Facebook page). The cottage industry guys at Dutchwaregear, Papa Smurf at Dream-hammock, and Zpacks have been fantastic rushing through some upgrades for me!
Best of all, family and friends have been amazingly supportive, and that feels really special.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm having a ball, and I'm looking forward to the ground rush of the last couple of weeks before I begin! What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts, advice...
Cheers!
Check out my Givealittle page, or Shine, for more info on the charity I am raising funds for.

6 comments:

  1. The first four days walking on sand might be hard on your feet if you are planning to get fit on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kimo! No, not planning on getting fitter on the trail. My base fitness is fine, but as you mentioned, I expect the first week to be hard on the feet... any tips?

      Delete
  2. At the start of the trail the feet are just not used to consecutive long days on sand etc, I wore light tramping boots and my feet got heavily blistered. I turned to running shoes they are just so much more forgiving. I ended up turning back to tramping boots after I got back into the mountain sections but again I returned to the runners. walked the vast majority of the trail in running shoes never want to wear tramping boots again. Also, another helpful thing that I did was to put plastic bags over my socks, this worked well for blister prevention until my feet toughened up enough to no longer blister. it was the best technique and it worked. All the best - Husky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Husky - plastic bags, eh? Your feet didn't end up a sweaty mess? I may give that a crack and see how it goes! Cheers! :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes, be careful on the sand. Jane got bad blisters on the sand in running shoes along Oreti Beach at her start. I would suggest gaiters, puttees, plastic bags, or any other cunning plan to keep the sand out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - have gaiters, but may also try the plastic bag trick Hannah has also suggested!
      :-)

      Delete